Friday, March 25, 2011

A Titanic clash indeed!

Normally, I do not write post match views on any cricket match that is not a final. However, yesterday's match between India and Australia was worthy of one even if it was just a quarter of a final. Hence, I am breaking my self imposed protocol and reliving India's triumph in cyberspace.

For one thing, the dew didn't play a part at all and my gut feeling that India would prevail without dew did turn out to be right. Midway through the match, I felt Australia were probably 10 runs above par but the sheer class of the Indian batting made such speculation pointless.

Simply put, it was a nerveless and well planned chase. Execution was good for the most part barring a frenetic 15 minutes when two well-set Indian batsmen seemed bent on gifting the Aussies an early Easter Egg. Fortunately for India, the batsmen seemed to realize that Easter was still a good month away.

My pre-match performers did play their parts. I did expect SRT and Yuvi to play pivotal roles. Sehwag was a bit disappointing but Gambhir and Kohli made up for it. Ashwin deserves a special mention with the ball and on the field with good support from the bankable Bhajji and Zak.

Yet, my most fulfilling prediction was not an Indian performance. I firmly felt Captain Ricky would bounce back like a cornered tiger and he truly demonstrated how a legend is created and sustained. He has spent the last decade creating a legendary status as one of Australia's all time greats, next only to Bradman; he spent three hours yesterday to make sure that his legend will be recounted over and over again in cosy bars and campfires. He left his indelible mark on the game and on its marquee event by demonstrating true Aussie-style, workmanlike batsmanship (ala steve waugh albeit with a lot more batting class)

Had it not been for Captain Ricky's batting, we would have had another one sided quarter final. The onus is on me to make a comment on the second semi-final - everyone's dream game - IndoPak.

At this stage, I feel it will be a tight contest but India will win comfortably in the end. India will be battling their own big match nerves, if any, but so will Pakistan. India's superior overall skills should see them through comfortably.

I would have really liked to see India playing both Sri Lanka and South Africa en-route the prize but alas, one can't have everything in life. For now, I only wish India good luck on the 30th and hope to catch them on the 2nd at Mumbai.

The Prize is indeed, nigh!!

No comments: