Sunday, April 3, 2011

FINALLY, my own story!

"Kapil ran a mile and caught Richards", "No one imagined India could win", "A bunch of no-hopers ended up as World Champions" ....

I have heard an account of India's greatest sporting triumph before April 2, 2011 recounted from multiple sources. My father's generation has reveled in letting us know how it felt to be World Cup Champions in 1983. Every time I listened to him, I had this yearning to experience it for myself. In 2007, when India won the T20 World cup, I thought I would be satisfied but then, the disappointment of the Carribbean World Cup was still raw. I can unequivocally say that I knew then that it is the 50 over cup that really counts. Yes, there was all that celebration but deep down, I knew - The 50 over cup is 'The Cup that Counts' - I could have given the WC2011 organizers that tag line four years ago!

Curiously, the 1983 Champions reflected the psyche of the nation that they hailed from. India was still finding its feet as a global force. Indians were unheard of or underdogs in most vocations that they were exploring. The triumph that lifted a nation reflected the bristling drive of ambition that fore-shadowed the emergence of a economic giant in the next 20 years.

28 years later, the nation needed another triumph to reflect the changed national psyche. It is ironic indeed that a sport like cricket is the only reliable barometer of Indian nationalism. It is the only pursuit that projects India as a nation. Politically and socially, India exists as multiple nations with fracture lines of regionalism, religion, class and culture. It is only in cricket triumph that Shah Rukh and a street dweller rejoice with indistinguishable joy.

Yesterday night, we did see identical celebrations within and outside the Wankhede. Maybe the suits were absent, but the body-painted revelers' joy on the streets was far more cherishable than the joyful applause of the suited VIPs at the Wankhede.

Now, lets have a look at the actual match - It was worthy of a final. India were the favorites (notice the contrast with 1983!!) but Sri Lanka almost pulled it off when the Indian chase was reeling at 31 for 2. It was a final contested but two teams with relatively weak fast bowling attacks. Sri Lanka were touted to be the better fielding side and India by far the better batting outfit. As the game panned out, a few issues were set right.

For once, the over-rated opening partnership of Dilshan and Tharanga felt the pressure of the final and went on the over-defensive. Sri Lanka paid a 30 run penalty for their nervous start. Looking at the first five overs of the Sri Lankan innings, I thought it was a good toss for Dhoni to lose (albeit in a farcical manner what with the double toss!!) Both Zak and Sreesanth started well but Sanga showed his class by dismantling Sreesanth with two gorgeous fours. The Indian fielding was outstanding and they 'lifted' themselves as Dhoni so wanted them to. Watching the Indian fielding effort, I felt they saved about 30 runs and I felt the Sri Lankans would struggle to match the Indian fielding effort. As it panned out, my hunch turned out to be correct.

For most of the first half, we were blessed to watch an exquisite ODI innings by Mahela. It was, simply put, a 'Touch of Class'. Mahela's knock reminded me of some of Sachin's centuries - no slogging, just pure batsmanship. Some would question Sreesanth's selection but I reckon Ashwin would have struggled as much against a classy Mahela. There was pace and bounce on the wicket and Dhoni's call was correct given the technical nous of the Sri Lankan batting against spin. In the latter half of the innings, the Indian bowling wasn't bad, Mahela was just too good and so was the pitch - it had true bounce and was coming on quite nicely. Whenever a lower order bat like Perera comes in and hits Zaheer through the line, you just know that the wicket is true and not stopping.

At the half way stage, given how the wicket was behaving, I felt 275 was tough but achievable. However, when Sehwag was dismissed, I was nervous and then Sachin went at 31. Strangely, I felt calmer at that moment. All the expectation was lifted. Sachin was gone and if India were to pull it of, it had to be the next Gen!

Kohli and Gambhir were exceptional in playing risk free cricket at nearly 6 runs an over. Then came the man - Dhoni. The comment of the day was by Ravi Shastri. Shastri identified Dhoni's calm and determined look as the biggest threat to Sri Lanka. When Shastri said it, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I wasn't surprised when Dhoni walked in. In fact, I knew he wouldn't let two left handers face off against Murali if he could help it. Again, it was a move backed by sound cricketing logic as Dhoni has demonstrated throughout his career - that the move came off is solely due to the character of the man.

As they say, Cometh the hour, Cometh the man. Gambhir wasn't a surprise - he is the understated giant of Indian cricket and reminds me a lot of Justin Langer who quietly compiled his runs in the shadow of his more limelight-hogging teammates. Dhoni, however, was Da Man - he was not quite the surprise package since he has the most enviable record against the Lankans but he hasn't been in his pomp in this tournament. He has never looked out of nick and it wasn't a surprise at all to see a reprise of his Captain Courageous act.

All said and done, it wasn't the mammoth run chase but the manner of it that makes this India's greatest triumph. We heard the "We played like Champions" comment repeated in the presentations and I feel it was an apt description. Sri Lanka were gallant but India were nerveless and epitomised by the two men who were there at the end - Dhoni and the Prince - Maybe the prince is now ready to be king after all!

As for me, I can now declare - WE ARE WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS - More importantly, I now have my own cricket story to tell - I know now what it feels to win the World Cup - The Cup that counts!

No comments: